Sunday, March 14, 2010

Back to the Compost Heap

Naturally my yard now looks like a desert with no chance of an oasis.  I do try to water the plants but it seems as if nature is definitely conspiring against me now.  Which then reminded me that I had been neglecting my compost heap.  That is to say I have stopped cooking.  How can I cook when we are officially in drought?  Ok so no excuses because I still eat fruits and the skins etc belong in my heap.  As the lady who helps me clean my house threw out my compost bin that I have in my kitchen, I used it as a good reminder to re-start.  So I am back to a clean bin.  Will now resolve to drink lots of coffee (for the coffee grinds), eat lots of fruit and maybe even cook.  Will also use the newspapers for the compost heap.  Am thinking that every one who gets my juicy mangoes when they come in season will be thankful that I did!

2 comments:

  1. You should also put soom neem leaves at the bottom of the bin to keep the insects away

    ReplyDelete
  2. And a good lid. Something to keep rats out.

    Of course there's a whole feedback between compost/humus and water-holding capacity of the soil. Not that even that would probably be much good in a drought like this...

    ReplyDelete